copper mugs
copper mugs

You know those cute Moscow Mule Copper mugs? Yeah, well they could be POISONING you!

Public health officials are now warning about those Instagram-worthy mugs! The Food and Drug Administration guidelines state cooper should not come into contact with acidic foods with a pH below 6, including vinegar, fruit juice wine, and, yep, a Moscow Mule!!!

“When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food,” according to Iowa’s Alcoholic Beverages Division advisory bulletin.

They say sudden copper poisoning is rare, but serious health problems can occur with long time exposure. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and jaundice.

How else are you suppose to drink a Moscow Mule?!

They say to make sure the mugs are lined on the inside with another metal, like nickel or stainless steel. So your Instagram pictures are still OK!