Half of us will experience a mental health challenge in our lifetime. All of us here in San Diego have a reason to speak up and support a friend, family member or colleague experiencing a tough time. Z90 wants to be here for you as a source for reliable information about staying healthy and managing our mental health!
Z90 wants you to know that you are not alone and help is available. If you are in a crisis or just need to talk to someone, reach out to one of the resources below.
- Access and Crisis Line at (888) 724-7240. Trained and experienced counselors are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day to provide support, referrals, and crisis intervention. You can also call the Access and Crisis Line if you are concerned about someone, just need to talk, have questions about how to offer support, or if you are looking for information about community resources, mental health referrals, and alcohol and drug support services.
- NAMI San Diego Helpline at (619) 543-1434 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. This is a confidential, family and peer-staffed support phone line for individuals with mental illness and their loved ones. The helpline provides non-crisis phone support, referrals and increases knowledge of mental illness, resources and related issues. You can also visit www. namisandiego.org/ for support and information.
If you are worried about someone on social media, click here for more information.
If you suspect that a friend, family member or colleague is struggling with depression, anxiety or other mental health challenges, the best thing you can do is Speak Up. The It’s Up to Us website offers tips on what to say and what not to say and a wealth of local resources. Learn more here.
STAY HEALTHY AND CONNECTED
Here are a number of resources to help you stay healthy and manage your mental health during COVID-19.
- The Behavioral Health Services (County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency) COVID-19 website includes a compilation of resources for mental health and ways to cope during COVID-19.
- The Live Well at Home website has resources for various age groups on ways to stay healthy during this period of social distancing and staying at home.
- Each Mind Matters: Tips for Self-Care During COVID-19
- Each Mind Matters: Substance Use During COVID-19 – What Does Problematic Use Look Like?
- Each Mind Matters: Supporting Someone While They Find Their Reasons For Living
MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS
Each year millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental illness. People, communities and organizations join the national Mental Health Awareness movement to raise awareness and reduce stigma about mental health.
- Wear Lime Green: Lime green has emerged as the national color for mental health awareness. Wearing the lime green ribbon is a great way to support mental health. You can also show your support by sharing lime green and mental health month images on social media. Check out Each Mind Matter’s social media graphics here.
- Put up ‘Take What You Need’ posters out in your apartment building, neighborhood, or in your place of work: Take What You Need English / Take What You Need Spanish
Z90 is excited to partner with the Directing Change Program, a nonprofit dedicated to youth mental health promotion and suicide prevention. Check out these films from San Diego County Middle School students: